Monday, November 3, 2008

Story of a Comic Book Monkey



Fascinating piece:
If you look closely at the ads in Marvel comics and Warren magazines during the late Sixties/early Seventies, you can easily spot the ones marketing the primates. Most of these advertisements were selling them for less than twenty dollars, plus the undisclosed fee for delivery. So for a reasonable amount of money, you could’ve roamed the neighborhood like Tarzan with your own personal Cheeta. Had I been of age (or even alive), I would have purchased a squad of monkeys to be my loyal helpers in searching for the television remote, fetching cold sodas, brushing my teeth, writing my homework, and performing my altar boy duties. Realistically, one can only imagine the face of outraged parents across the country when their children unexpectedly ordered these bundles of “joy” and “hilarity.”
...
Once I decided to write this article, I searched high and low for someone who might have purchased a squirrel monkey directly from one of the old comic ads. Luckily I stumbled upon writer Jeff Tuthill’s amazing childhood account on the time he ordered his pet monkey from an issue of “Amazing Spider-Man” near the early seventies. The native New Yorker remembered being captivated by the picture of a complacent monkey seated on the palm of a human hand.
Ownership involved investing in heavy leather gloves.

No comments: